The French House and the Department of French & Italian regularly hosts visits from school and college groups for lunch and classes Monday through Thursday (up to 30 or so guests), and, if space permits, at our regular Wednesday dinners or Friday lunches that are normally open to the public.
Class visits on campus are very welcome! But please let us know as soon as possible because we receive multiple group requests and while we try to accommodate everyone, we are not always successful, unfortunately. MERCI !
Options for groups of French students in Madison
- Have lunch at the French House! We have a fun, friendly group of college students, with plenty of native French speakers, who would love to sit with your students and engage them in conversation. Lunch Monday through Thursday is $6/person. Fridays are $7/student, $9/adult. Anytime, one adult eats free with every 10 students.
- Sit in on a college French class. A few things to keep in mind…
- When? The best days to visit are Monday and Wednesday (when we have more classes to choose from). Next in line are Tuesday and Thursday. Very few classes (appropriate for high school students) meet on Fridays.
- How many? Finding space in our classrooms can be done for up to 30 students or so. They would be spread out among a number of different classes in groups of 3-5.
- Just a French class? Non! Perhaps your students (or a small group of your students) would enjoy visiting an intro Italian class? Or another language? Let us know and we’ll try to make that happen!
- Take a tour, en français, of the Chazen Art Museum of Art on campus.
- Visit an authentic French bakery and order en français at La Baguette, 7424 Mineral Point Rd.,Madison, (608) 827-6775..
- Smaller groups (10 or so) may enjoy a visit to Fromagination on the Capitol Square and/or have lunch at the Mediterranean Café where the owner speaks French and the food is fantastic! It’s probably best to call ahead and let them know.
- Discover other events for francophones and francohiles here at on our site.