2017-2018 Room & Board Rates
- 2018-2019 rates will be available January 2018.
- There was no increase in rates from ’15 – ’16 to ’17 – ’18.
|Semester payment||Payment plan|
|Single, academic year: $8,700||$4, 350||$870 x 10|
|Single, semester: $4,600||$4,600||$920 x 5|
|Double, academic year: $7,200||$3,600||$720 x 10|
|Double, semester: $3,800||$3,800||$760 x 5|
Parking: $200 (fall), $215 (spring). Parking is limited. Please contact us about availability.
- a furnished room (regular twin bed, chest of drawers, shelves & desk; linens and pillow are not provided)
- three healthy, generous, home-made meals per day, Monday-Friday, and brunch on Saturdays & Sundays while classes are in session
- Internet (wired and WiFi)
- all utilities (water, heat, air conditioning)
- onsite laundry
- formal end-of-semester dinner events
- special events and receptions at the French House (conferences, lectures, recitals, movie nights)
- activities & outings to francophone related events are arranged based on what’s available in the Madison area
Additional academic benefits:
- improved French language skills
- onsite academic and career advising by French House Director, an award-winning academic advisor
- access to native speakers for language practice and informal tutoring
How do we keep are rates so reasonable?
The French House, Inc., is managed by the UW-Madison Department of French and Italian and funded, in part, through the generous donations and patronage by “The Friends of the French House.”
Room & board is less expensive than most other similar options on and off campus (see below for a comparison).
Compare us to other options in Madison
Room and board rates are $1,000-2,300 less than rates at the UW-Madison residence halls. Living at the French House should not be a financial burden to our students, and thanks to our donors, UW-Madison students have an opportunity to live independently in a practical and intellectually stimulating environment.
UW-Madison Residence Halls: Estimate based on published rates for 2016-2017. Area rates typically increase by 4-7% per year. Rates below include an average cost for food.*
Single room: $10,239 – 10,789. The French House is roughly $1,500 – $2,000 less.
Double, triple, quad room: $8,811 – $10,224. The French House is roughly $1,600 – 3,200 less.
*Average food amount does not include any meals or snacks purchased outside the UW Residence Halls network (local restaurants, snack bars, etc.). The French House provides all-you-can eat meals, snacks, fresh fruit, and allows residents to make sack lunches or have lunch plates or dinner plates set aside.
Private Residence Halls such as The Langdon, The Towers, The Statesider. Some include breakfast.
Rates vary from roughly $500 – $1500 per bed, per month, plus meals (only some include breakfast). This equals roughly $4,500 – $13,500 for 9 months plus meals.
Private Apartments: Average rates published by the UW-Madison Campus Area Housing resource. Most apartments are unfurnished are require a 12-month lease. Of course, this is often just rent; food, internet, cable, and often utilities are extra.
Studio: $800/month on average
One bedroom: $9500/month on average
Two bedroom: $1,300/month on average
Three bedroom: $1,750/month on average
Four bedroom: $2,100/month on average