2023-2024 Room & Board Rates
The French House remains an affordable option thanks in part to our donors.
Scroll down to compare to other options on and off-campus.
|Room includes 3 meals per day, Monday through Friday, brunch on Saturday and Sunday, special events, all utilities and WiFi with (paid) laundry on site.||Academic Year||Semester|
Deluxe single (larger room)
Lake view deluxe single
Parking: $350 (fall), $375 (spring). Parking is limited. Please contact us about availability.
- a furnished room (regular twin bed, chest of drawers, shelves & desk; linens and pillow are not provided)
- three healthy, home-made meals per day, Monday-Friday, and brunch on Saturdays & Sundays while classes are in session
- Internet (WiFi)
- all utilities (water, heat, air conditioning)
- onsite laundry
- special events and receptions at the French House (conferences, lectures, recitals, movie nights)
- activities & outings to francophone related events are arranged based on what’s available in the Madison area
Additional academic benefits:
- improved French language skills
- onsite academic and career advising by French House Director, an award-winning academic advisor
- access to native speakers for language practice and informal tutoring
How do we keep our rates reasonable?
The French House, Inc., is managed by the UW-Madison Department of French and Italian and funded, in part, through the generous donations and patronage by “The Friends of the French House.”
Room & board is less expensive than most other similar options on and off campus (see below for a comparison).
Compare us to other options in Madison
Room and board rates are roughly $1,000-3,000 less than rates at the UW-Madison residence halls. Living at the French House should not be a financial burden to our students, and thanks to our donors, UW-Madison students have an opportunity to live independently in a practical and intellectually stimulating environment.
UW-Madison Residence Halls: Estimate based on published rates for 2023-2024 with “Go14” meal plan (which is comparable to the number of meals served at the French House). Area rates typically increase by 4-7% per year. Rates below include an average cost for food.*
Least expensive single room with average cost of meals: $12,700. The French House is $11,500 with “all you can eat” food.
Least expensive double room with average cost of meals: $11,800. The French House is $9,750 with “all you can eat” food.
*Average food amount does not include any meals or snacks purchased outside the UW Residence Halls network (local restaurants, snack bars, etc.). The French House provides buffet-style meals, snacks, and fresh fruit. In other words, we really try to spoil our residents!
Private Apartments: Average rates published by the UW-Madison Campus Area Housing resource. Most apartments are unfurnished are require a 12-month lease. Of course, this is often just rent; food, internet, cable, and often utilities are extra.